Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Meatless Month: Day 9

Day 9 was the first real miss so far of Meatless Month.  I suppose it was bound to happen sooner or later.  I'm frankly surprised that this dish was the one Mr. Hungry didn't like, as on paper it sounded right up his alley.

I used a recipe from Everyday Food magazine for Baked Eggs and Tortillas in Creamy Tomato Sauce.  I've had good luck with their recipes and appreciate that they're typically quick to make without seeming dumbed down or relying on packaged products much.

You start by making a simple tomato sauce of onions, garlic, and crushed tomatoes.  I only had diced tomatoes, so I used those plus a small can of Spanish style tomato sauce.  I probably should have just blended the diced tomatoes with my immersion blender as it was a bit too saucy in the end.


You then add a bit of half-and-half, layer it in a baking dish, top with some corn tortilla strips, and more sauce.  Crack a few eggs on top,


(Isn't that a happy looking dish?), coat with cheese,


and bake.  After a half hour in the oven, it looked like this:

It was just fine, I thought.  Hearty, tomatoey, slightly spicy, cheesy and gooey.  I don't know if they were supposed to or if my tortillas were just a bit old, but they dissolved into nothingness in the oven and simply thickened the sauce.  So I liked it, Mr. Hungry did not.  I probably won't be making this again, though I still find the idea of baked eggs very appealing.  I'll keep my eyes peeled for another recipe.

2 comments:

  1. It almost looks like shakshuka, but not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had shakshuka, but upon looking it up online, I can see you're right! I wonder if that would have been a more delicious recipe than this was.

    ReplyDelete