Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Meatless Month: Day 1

Before I get into what I ate today, a brief note about photos.  I don't really like taking photos, and I often forget to do so.  While my favorite blogs typically have lots of photos, I'm afraid mine just won't.  And my camera seems always to need charging.  I hope you enjoy the writing nonetheless.

Today was the first day of the self-imposed Meatless Month, and it was an easy day.  Oatmeal for breakfast, rice and beans for lunch.  Neither of these meals is typically all that interesting for me.

Dinner was delicious, easy, and rather attractive.  I do wish I'd remembered to photograph it.  It was also really inexpensive to make.  I made rigatoni with oven roasted grape tomatoes, basil, and Parmesan cheese.  The tomatoes were from my parents' garden, so they were free, and the basil was from my own little plant.  I tossed the tomatoes with olive oil, salt, and pepper and put them in a 400 degree oven while the rigatoni cooked.  When that was done, tomatoes and pasta were tossed, basil and Parmesan added, and dinner was done.  We had a mixed greens salad with strawberries on the side and some little biscuits from the Fresh Market, too.

Mr. Hungry and I had dinner at my parents' on Monday and I grabbed a pack of the Fresh Market's cheddar tea biscuits on my way.  They're maybe 1/4 the size of a regular biscuit.  We forgot to eat them with dinner on Monday, so I brought a few home.  They were really good, and very cute.  I suspect they'd be really tasty with a bit of apple jelly or peach preserves.  Another bread/bakery product worth buying from the Fresh Market.

No comments:

Post a Comment