Sunday, November 7, 2010

Meatless Month: Day 14



I love minestrone.  I love lentils.  So when I found a recipe for lentil minestrone, I knew I had to make it.  I found the recipe in Deborah Madison's very thorough tome, Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone

The recipe wasn't all that different from my usual minestrone.  It started with celery, onions, and carrots, gently sauteed to soften, then garlic and aromatics in the form of parsley, bay leaf, and thyme are added to the soup pot.  I added vegetable broth and the lentils and let it cook for about 20 minutes, until the lentils were sort, added some chopped kale, and cooked a small batch of ditalini in a separate pot to be added to each individual bowl of soup, which was then topped with some grated Romano cheese.

The recipe also called for something called mushroom soy sauce, which I am not familiar with, but a quick Google search tells me that it's a good vegetarian substitute for oyster sauce.

The verdict?  I prefer my usual lentil soup recipe for when I feel like lentils, and my usual, chock-full-of-vegetables minestrone when I feel like minestrone.  This was simply ok, nothing special.  For a more detailed write-up than my sad little post, check out this blog.  She has the exact recipe, too, and likes the soup far more than I did.  With all the wonderful soups I've made, I don't think I'll be repeating this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment