Monday, August 23, 2010

An Old Favorite


The above picture may not look like much, but it's one of my favorite things to eat.  It's a combination of plain yogurt, something for sweetness, and Mu Mu Muesli.  In this picture you'll see pieces of fresh nectarine.  They were so sweet and juicy, I didn't add any other sweeteners, but often I'll add maple syrup or fruit preserves instead.  My preferred yogurt is Brown Cow plain low fat.  Stonyfield will also do, but its flavor isn't as rich.

I first tasted Mu Mu Muesli when I was handed a little paper cup containing it and some whole milk maple yogurt at the Schenectady Greenmarket.  I was sold.  It is available to purchase there, but I take a big refillable container and get it in bulk at the Honest Weight Co-Op.  For those uninitiated, muesli is pretty much untoasted granola.  This particular brand combines oats, flax seeds, raisins, dried cranberries, unsweetened dried coconut, almonds, and the best part, dried dates.  It's lightly sweet, crunchy, chewy, nutty, and makes for a filling breakfast or a healthy snack.  I've even been known to eat it twice in a day.  As someone who doesn't often eat the same thing twice, this is high praise indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment